Monday, March 1, 2010

Waiting for Spring

I went for a walk around the farm the other day and guess what I say under the hazelnut trees? The crocuses have poked through the ground, but the flowers haven't opened yet. The weather people are saying we may get into the 50s later this week. I went through all my seeds the other day to see what I have and I walk through the garden trying to plan for this year. One of our geese has already started laying eggs so I will begin shipping orders of goose eggs soon. The chickens have slowed down with the cold weather, but we are hoping they will pick up soon so we will be able to fill more orders. I have been reading books by Joel Salatin and I really love his books. I have learned a lot about making my farm more profitable, and I am trying to take steps in that direction. Going local is all the rage right now, but we need to stop talking about it and start really supporting local farmers by putting our wallets into our local economy and not into the pockets of the evil empire. I bought some goat the other day from a local farmer and I would encourage you to take some of your money and put it into your local farms, without YOU we will all disappear! I love farm life, and I can't imagine any better way to spend the rest of my days here on earth.
If you are wondering where your food comes from I encourage you to watch the movie FOOD INC. Stay warm, and remember SPRING IS COMING!!!

No comments: