Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring, not summer


Spring started out very warm here and I already have a jump on my farmers tan. Temps were soaring into the 80s for a few weeks, but now things have cooled off again. I am actually glad about that because my peas, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts were not doing well in the heat. There were two mornings with frost after the last frost date, but everything seems to be doing well so far. The apple trees are just about done blooming and the peach trees finished about three weeks ago, the cherries and pears are also done as well. I look forward to all the fruit this year.
We have started to give farm tours for the first time, and I think that they are going well. I love to tell the story of how we got here. The kids help a lot too setting up their rock collection and lining up the pet cages to show off all of our animals. Over the last few months we have sold some animals and gained some. Rabbits are the newest addition and I just love to watch them hop around the house and tear old coloring books to shreds, throwing paper everywhere and making a bloody mess! We now have a broody hen sitting on about 10 eggs so we are expecting little ones in about two more weeks. We were hoping for some broody ducks this year, but that is not looking too good right now. The white chinese goose is sitting on a bunch of eggs so we are hoping that some of them may hatch out this year because none of them hatched last year. I will keep everyone updated on our facebook page.
For plants I have started about 80 tomatoes, and equal amount of basil and then, in smaller amounts: cilantro, rosemary, sweet majoram, oregano, romanesco broccoli, leeks, onions, garlic chives, and flowers. I bought pepper plants and raspberry plants this year. I had my first asparagus come up this year, which I had found lying on the ground after I accidentally chopped it off while removing the chicken wire from that section from the garden. Keep laughing...it could happen to you! The herbs survived the winter well for the most part, except for the rosemary, which happens to be my very favorite. I have declared war on the mint, chocolate, and other types because they are running through the herb bed like wild unruly children. Mint makes a wonderful tea and has many other uses so none of it will go to waste. The one thing that I am most excited to grow this year are pineapple tomatillos. I couldn't believe it when I saw them in a catalog so I just had to try them. Last year the tomatillos did great in the garden.
Finally, to the right is my pea box, as I like to call it.
My friend got the box for 5 dollars, Dan salvaged the
four posts out of the trash, and I stapled leftover
chicken wire to the sides. The peas will grow up the chicken wire which will shade the lettuce growing in the box. I think that I will add carrots to the soil later when the lettuce is done.
So... what are you doing in your garden this year? And most important of all... are you supporting your local farmers? Please be sure you do!

1 comment:

RL said...

Thanks for the plug about local farmers, my wife and I are some.

I like your blog.